Sunday, May 2, 2010

To be an Educated Reader

This week was a busy one for me. Studying for finals, taking finals, working 3 twelve hour shifts, celebrated little brother Caden's 10th birthday, hung out with my 5 lady friends (legit six- is what we call ourselves), finally officially changed my last name to Matthews and last night Robbie and I went to Nickle City with our friends the Kelly's . I kinda like it when the week goes by fast. I look back and everything just seems like a blur and I can't remember what days I did what.

So Thursday, Friday, and Saturday our work was having what is called WREB. It is Boards for the Hygiene students that just graduated. So instead of working in the clinic as a dental assistant they had me help out with WREB. It was from 6:30 a.m. to about 6 p.m. I was assigned to be the check-in assistant. It was a pretty laid back job, I just had to check patients in and out in a very organized and orderly manner. After the first day I got it down pretty good, so Friday I decided I would bring a book. I didn't have much of a selection at our apartment but I did find one that I thought I would try.





I actually really enjoyed reading it and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I haven't seen the movie yet. I heard it was lame. So I am a little iffy on whether or not I should rent it. I did imagine Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried as my main characters though. haha.
And I like Nicholas Sparks. Ya, he can be pretty predictable in his writing. But nonetheless I almost always enjoy his books. I guess I am pretty easy to please when it comes to a mushy love story.









You see I am not much of a reader. I really wish I was. I've really tried to be too. It's on my bucket list to become an educated reader. I've pretty much only read books that are an easy to read with a cute love story. I need to break out of that habit and branch out. I want to read cool books like Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, The Scarlet Letter, The Great Gatsby, you know all the books I was suppose to read in AP English but instead I used Cliff Notes. I am horrible I know. Now that I have a Provo library card maybe I can redeem myself and read me some books that will make me intelligent. Thats all.

3 comments:

  1. I've never been much of a reader, either, besides books for school. But I started going to a book club and am loving that it's making me read. I love to read! And I love that it makes me feel so cultured and educated.

    We just read Wuthering Heights for our book club and I loved it! I think it's a better read than Jane Austen. You should try that one next.

    I want to read classics, too. Maybe we should read them together and have an online book discussion or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Jamis had his internship and after my miscarriage I would just lay in bed all day and read classics. I think that is when I became a reader. But I really didn't have anything else to do.

    You should totally read "the hunger games". I loved it and Jamis and I are reading it now.

    I would be down with a Matthews' book club. Then we can have our meetings in a resort all together to talk about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YA we totally should make a book club. that would be awesome! I have heard such good things about the Hunger Games and its always been a goal of mine to read Wuthering Heights. I am excited to read them soon! Thanks for the comments you two!

    ReplyDelete